Citizens Police Academy
A guiding principle of the La Grange Park Police Department is that we, as an agency, build and maintain positive relationships with the residents of our great Village. An effective and popular means for doing so is through participation in our Citizens Police Academy, which provides attendees with an overview of the Police Department’s structure and function, as well as insight into the ways in which officers perform their duties.
Benefits of participation in the Citizens Police Academy include:
- Enhanced understanding of local ordinances and state laws and how they are enforced
- Improved communication between citizens and police personnel
- Increased awareness of crime prevention efforts and opportunities within the village
Topics to be covered during each CPA session include:
- Community Policing initiatives, including Adopt-A-Cop, Walk and Talk Program, Door Hanger Program, Mental Health Awareness, Coffee with the Chief, Public Safety Alerts and Bulletins
- Fire Safety
- Investigations and Criminal Law
- Safety at Home
- Traffic Stops and Patrol Techniques
This is a free program that is offered two times annually, once in the Spring and once in the Fall. Each class meets for several consecutive Saturday mornings from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. at the Police Department.
Enrollment is open to anyone 18 years of age or older. Candidates must be in reasonably good health, pass a criminal background check and sign a waiver of liability before participating in the first session. Please note: Priority is given to La Grange Park residents and those who work in the Village.